My mom makes the most delicious foods. When she asks if she can bring something to dinner this is one of my most often requested dishes. She's balanced the flavors and made them burst in your mouth. This will be a recipe you'll turn to over and over again. She adapted it from a recipe she found in the April/May 2010 Taste of Home magazine. It's best prepared a day in advance of serving as it needs time to rest for the flavors to combine.
Barley and Bean Salad
Prepare in advance
- Drizzle the dressing over the barley and beans and toss until coated.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Day of preparation
- Both the barley and beans can be prepared in advance as they should be cooked and cooled.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss until salad is coated.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours prior to serving for maximum flavor. (We usually chill overnight and serve the following day)
1. Serve in small bowls with toasted multigrain bread on the side.
2. Use as a topping for a bed of mixed greensand top with just a crumble of feta cheese.