This is a delicious, hearty beef stew that has long been one of our favorites. You’ll need a 6 qt or larger crock-pot and a skillet or dutch oven to caramelize the onions. The first step involves cooking the roast. I generally use a chuck roast or arm roast for this meal.
Beef, Barley & Vegetable Stew
For the Roast
- 2 lbs Beef Chuck Roast
- 1 Onion (cut into quarters)
- 3 Bay Leaf
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks Celery (cut into 6 inch pieces)
- 2 Carrot (cut into 6 inch pieces)
For the Stew
- 4 large Potato (peeled, cut into one inch chunks and baked)
- 1 Onion (chopped and caramelized)
- 2 stalks Celery (chopped fine)
- 16 oz Frozen Mixed Vegetables (peas, corn, carrots)
- 4 cups Barley (precooked unless using the hulled varieties)
- 1 oz Port (optional but brings out the flavormay substitute red wine)
- 1 oz Dry Red Wine
- 2 tbsp Beef Bullion (I use Better than Bullion Organic Beef)
- 1 tbsp Mushroom Bullion (I use Better than Bullion Organic Mushroom)
- 1 tsp Dried Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Ground Celery Seed
Cooking the Roast
- Place the roast, onion, bay leaves, garlic cloves, celery and carrots in your crock-pot. Add enough water to cover.
- Set on low and cook overnight or until roast pulls apart easily with fork (6 - 8 hours)
Preparing the Stew
- Remove the roast from the crock-pot and allow to rest on a cutting board.
- Remove the cooked vegetables from the broth and puree in a blender (Vitamix). Then add the bullion, dried mustard and celery seed and blend lightly until combined. Add the broth mixture back into your crock-pot.
- Shred beef into small pieces and add back into crock-pot
- Dice and caramelize your onion and add into crock-pot
- Add in your mixed vegetables, celery, carrots, potatoes and pre-cooked grains.
- Finally, add the red wine and port. Mix to combine.
- Simmer on low for approximately 1 hour.