Making your own granola is easy and rewarding. Start with a basic recipe and adapt it to make it your own. Read the notes section at the end for suggestions.
I started making my own granola when I realized how much sugar is in the store bought granola. It is easy to make your own homemade granola. You get to control how much sugar is added and sneak in some healthy ingredients such as chia seeds!Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 31 minutes
Servings: 20 People
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oatmeal, rice puffs and chia seed and mix together.
- In a 2 cup glass measuring cup (or small bowl), combine brown rice syrup, honey, olive oil, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix thoroughly
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and mix until combined with a wooden spoon or your hands.
- Pour out granola mixture onto a baking sheet with sides or two 9x13 baking dishes.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 20 minutes at a time for 60 to 90 minutes or until mixture is toasted and dry. Stir mixture at each 20 minute increment.
Note: Add dried fruit towards the end of cooking or it tends to burn Dry Ingredients: Experiment with different combinations. I generally use all oatmeal and mix in things like chia seeds, hemp seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes or sesame seeds to give the granola a different texture and crunch. Spices: It takes a lot of spice before it hits your tastebuds so don't be scared of the 2 tsp of cinnamon in this recipe. I've been known to add a tablespoon of cinnamon plus nutmeg, clove and ginger! Wet ingredients: You can mix up the sweeteners you use easily in this recipe. My favorites are honey, brown rice syrup and maple syrup. If you need a little more sweet in your granola try using a whole Stevia concentrate (Young Living or SweetLeaf makes a whole version of liquid stevia). Stevia is very concentrated so start with adding just a half dropper and mix it in with the other sweeteners.
Calories: 120kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 9mg | Potassium: 85mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin C: 0.5% | Calcium: 2.1% | Iron: 3.3%