My mom provides us with fresh ground cornmeal every year and we love to try out different cornbread recipes.
For this recipe, Jeremy and I decided to try cooking in a preheated cast iron skillet. Make sure you allow for time for a greased cast iron skillet to preheat in your oven for 10 minutes prior to pouring in the batter.
Whole Grain Skillet Cornbread
Remember to preheat your oven and cast iron skillet to achieve the crispy crust!
- 1 tbs Coconut Oil (for skillet)
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole grain cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Honey (Local preferred)
- 1 1/4 c whole milk (substituting half & half, almond, cashew or coconut milk here works as well)
- 1/2 c Organic Olive Oil (substituting melted butter here works great)
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Place cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat while you mix up the recipe. (For approximately 10 minutes)
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined. Your batter should be a bit lumpy. Do not over-mix.
- With a hot-pad, remove your cast iron skillet from the oven and pour in batter.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy drizzled with some extra honey or just as-is.